Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Without Fear

Carefree. Whimsical. Honest. Beautiful. Sensual. Joyous. Adventurous.
All of these words I would apply to the work of Yulia Ustinova, a Russian fibre artist living in Moscow, creator of a wonderful body of work that she calls Fat and Not Afraid. I love these sculptures, curvaceous women which she crochets in the act of, well, being real women. They dance, they sunbathe, they do acrobatics, they read the Sunday papers. Okay, so some of their occupations are not so everyday, but what the heck, why not? They are a joyous celebration of the female form as it really exists for at least half of the women in the world, which is part of what makes me love them so much. Here are some of her pieces and you can see more by clicking here. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

 

  




No comments:

Post a Comment