Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Irish Landscape

In 1993, when I was a very poor student at Mary Immaculate College of Education in Limerick, I first saw Giles Norman's photography. I was on a weekend trip to Dublin and found my way to his gallery in Powerscourt and absolutely fell in love. Poor as I was, I spent the 12 punts and bought the catalogue for 2 reasons - first, because I couldn't afford even 1 of his beautiful 8x10 prints and second, because even if I could have I don't think I could have chosen just 1! That catalogue has had pride of place on my bookshelf ever since, now sitting next to my bound copy of my Master's thesis, for which Giles graciously answered a slew of questions for me as I was doing my research. Now, 20 years later (ouch! has it really been that long?!), I find his work every bit as inspiring and lovely as I did then.

 

I love his clean composition, his appreciation for space, texture and especially his use of light. His use of light, for me, is what really takes me there. The lone boat on an empty sea at the end of day, the solitude, the silence. I feel like I am the one standing on the cliffs watching for that boat to return home from the sea. 


 

I find his inclusion of people and animals refreshing, particularly in contrast to much of American landscape image-making where people don't belong and anything man-made should be ancient and decayed if it must be included at all. For me, the people and the landscape of Ireland are part of the whole - separate them and you lose the richness of the place.That said, though, Norman's images of the wild parts of Ireland, the secluded coves and empty cliffs are beautiful enough to bring an ache to my throat and awaken a longing in my heart to be there, alone, feeling the mist on my face, smelling the sea and listening to the birds.

 

Yes, 20 years have past, but some things remain as inspiring as ever. Giles Norman's images are among them. To see more of his work, go here.



No comments:

Post a Comment